Friday, March 5, 2010

NZD 12132009

Auckland at Night

I did finally decide that I have run out of material from December 15, but I feel proud to have searched for 5 images that I liked enough to post.  So I’ve gone back to the previous days to see what may have been left out.  What struck me out this one initially was the green halo on Vero peeking out between two buildings.  I also like the honeycomb shaping of the building to the right versus the horizontal of the one to the left and middle. I also like the reflection of lights in the other buildings.  What struck me though, was the lack of lights.  There are a few, but still very few compared to say New York or even Atlanta.  I appreciated being able to see the buildings without all this lights.  This close it likely would have been too much.
image

3 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Did it feel weird walking around a city that was so dark??

You've done a great job so far mining your photos for good stuff!!

Sue

K Spoering said...

I really like this. It reminds me of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings of New York. Good night shot! I have not been very successful taking night photos, for some reason. This inspires me to try again.

Jennifer said...

Sue - it was a bit odd for the buildings to not have lights, but there were street lights and this was summer for them. So far south, the sun did not go down until nearly 10 pm - maybe like you have it in July???

Kathy - I am certain with your superior camera and more phtotgraphy experience - you will succeed at getting a great night shot! Possibly one thing that helped with my shot is that it was not pitch black night, but really a "deep" dusk and overcast.