Okay – not a huge amount, but with the snow last weekend, there was a good move forward.
Before we left, I did cut all the bamboo that I had cleaned and finished. So it was waiting for me very nicely laid out on the floor. Some of the bamboo is not straight, or has zigzags in it. I chose to take smaller, thinner pieces to fill in those gaps. The picture above is a bit dark because I took it from underneath the loom. I was able to “weave” in enough to need to advance the “fabric”! I pulled out some old towels to cushion between the bamboo and the loom – both at the front and at the back for winding.
The Joy of Silk
Before we left, I also made a bit of progress on the Christmas “Joy”. This is my first time working with a cartoon. I was enjoying the results so much I found I had the weaving bug just when we are about to head out! I found the same joy when I returned and wove without abandon this weekend. Again – not much, but I am pleased with some progress at this point! I think the piece is turning out to be a bit “folksy” with the thicker black lines. Part of that is likely the scale, but I still am happy with it and it will likely make a good present for next year. But shhh - don’t tell anyone!