With the chimney gone, the next project was a new ceiling. We talked about a number of things and agreed at least to leave the existing ceiling in tact to contain the blown insulation in the attic. So we were back and forth with how could we work with the existing ceiling or how could we cover it up. Finally in exasperation, James said, "Why we just take 4' x 8' sheets of bead board and cut them into 4 foot squares? Then in Peavey fashion install them in an alternating pattern?" I ran to do some "sketch" ups on the computer and in 10 minutes it was decided. I think it's turned out well and I'm excited to see it with the joints caulked and a final coat of paint.
With taking off Intersecting Sine Waves off the loom, there are new opportunities there! I now have Peter Collingwood's book, so I pulled it out for inspiration on the finishing. I chose a twined edge since it did remind me most of sine waves (pg 503) and then a four-strand square sennit (p 496) for protecting the warp. Again it reminded me of the sine waves the way the strands come in and out. I'm excited to be able to "quote Collingwood" and I've almost decided I may do a set of samples of these finishes just to be able to see them in real life.I have decided to warp the loom for the mat for Dakota's picture. The last time I warped this loom it was for 8" wide and I recreated the leashes "fresh" so to speak. That's where I create the leashes for the first time. The loom is warped and the leashes are fed around the back warps as seen to the right. If I'm really smart, I will create these leashes for the maximum width of the loom. I was really smart last time....
Ultimately, I am a lazy creature. I don't want to recreate those leashes. So I've been playing with ways to reuse the leashes on subsequent warps. In my first class, it was mentioned that one woman used paper clips to connect the leashes to the warp. I came home and played with "Figure 8s". These worked in principle, but I found they were weak and tended to stretch each time I pulled the leash. So I purchased some split rings. It's essentially a really small key ring that I got from Fire Mountain Gems.
I placed one on the end of each of leash just like I'd put a key on a key ring.
Then I added the back warp that I'd like to control with the leash. And here they are connected, not getting tangled and seem rather strong compared with the figure 8s.
Now I am limited to a particular epi, but I technically could make one of these leash units for each epi. For now I am not venturing from 8 epi, so I'm covered for a while without having to create new leashes for this loom.
Here's the progress thus far on the mat. It will be 8" x 8" square and the picture if 4"w x 5"l. The picture will be off center horizontally and vertically. The grey block between the two scrap pieces of warp sticking out is the hem for the opening for the picture. It's rather simple since all I am doing is blending yarns for a vertical change in color. The yarn spun from Dakota's fur is so fragile, I thought I better keep it simple.