Weekend before last, I did go pick up my new-to-me Leclerc 45” Tissart loom. This is my first loom with treadles and a reed, etc. This also means that I am without many other things like a warping board, a rattle, and lease sticks. So this weekend, I did a little woodworking. I’m proud to say I did all this for under $45.
Once cut, I did lay out all the spacers for winding the warp so that I could spray them with lacquer. Unlike most of you, the warp will likely be on the loom a long time and I wanted to make sure that the wood was sealed to prevent any discoloration of the warp. Two coats on each side and those are finished! I now have 14 in all.
Between coats, I started on the warping board. I’ve decided I really didn’t need to have more than a 10 yard capacity –
remember I’m a weekend tapestry weaver! I decided the warping board would be a square and the passage from one side to the other would be about a yard. With the dowel pins in the middle of the side board, that meant the length of the sides needed to be 39”. Shadow agreed.
From there, I marked off the positions of the dowel pins. (Yes that’s actually James’ hand. He decided I needed a line straight up the middle of the board – so I let him do it!)
A little wood glue was put on the ends of the dowel pins and they were pressed into the holes in the board. Shadow was quite fascinated by the “sticks” and wanted very much to “help” with them!
The vertical pieces sat on top of the horizontal pieces. The end of the vertical was lined up with the side of the horizontal and the two were squared up with a speed square.
A little wood glue had been spread in between the two pieces and they were joined with a finish nailer. Three nails would be sufficient, but I put in 5 like Purina logo! (I don’t know why – it just felt right!) And here’s the warping board resting from all it’s work!
With that complete, I started on the rattle. I marked off 2 dents/inch on the centerline of a 48” long board. With that I began tapping in the finish nails. Sounds simple enough, but after about 2 feet, the board started splitting on both sides!
James fortunately had a piece of alder that he was willing to give me. With a new set of marks we headed back to the drill press to put in the 91 holes for the rattle! The nails were then tapped into their respective holes. That’s 91 nails – quite a line up!